There is beautifully engraved terracotta temple in Chelyama (Raghunathpur-II Block) of Purulia, styled after the famous Bishnupur temples of Bankura district in West Bengal. This is an “Aatchala” (eight domed) temple facing eastwards. The eastern wall of the temple has three terracotta panels with mythological stories engraved on it. The first panel depicts the story of the battle between Shumbho-Nishumbho and Devi Chandi. The second one depicts the battle between Rama and Ravana and the third one shows mischiefs of Lord Krishna and the Ras Nritya. Apart from these, Dasavatars (ten
reincarnations of Vishnu), creepers, leaves, flowers, fruits, hunting scenes, horse-pulled chariots are also engraved on the walls. Although no specific date of construction is available, scriptures on the right wall of the temple suggest that it dates back to 1697 A.D and was built during the reign of King Balbhadra Shekhar Singh Deo of Panchakot.